Jump to Navigation

Is it possible to modify a child support decree?

No parents wants their children to have anything less than the best that they can offer them. Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the matter is that life does not always give you what you expect, and it can be difficult to know how to react when you get thrown a curve ball.

There are many reasons why a parent may wish to modify his or her child support agreement. It could be that you agreed to an arrangement that was not fair but you weren't of this at the time.

It is also possible that you may have experienced some difficult life changes, and what was a fair and tenable child support agreement when you signed it is no longer possible to maintain.

Whether your story looks something like this or like something else entirely, proper legal counsel can help you carefully evaluate the nuances of your situation to identify the best path forward for everyone.

Courts want to see the evidence of hardship

When it comes to modifying a child support arrangement, a court tends to value the best interests and stability of the child very highly. Because of this, it is unlikely that a court will honor a poorly argued request for modification.

In order to successfully petition for a modification to your child support, you must demonstrate that the current terms of your agreement are not tenable to maintain.

This might mean that you agreed to certain terms and were unclear on exactly what they would entail. This is not the easiest case to make, but is possible, especially if you can demonstrate that the agreement was unclear.

You are most likely to be successful in modifying your child support agreement if you can demonstrate that your income has changed, or your expenses have unavoidably increased since you signed the agreement.

A fair judge will probably be willing to alter your child support with proper evidence of changes in income or increased hardship - after all, your original child support agreement looked at your life circumstances at the time, and it is only reasonable that the terms would change as your circumstances do.

A strong case require a strong team

Regardless of the circumstances that brought you to the crossroads of wanting your child support obligations modified, you deserve to have your situation fairly evaluated. It is crucial to enlist the guidance of an experienced attorney who understands the nuances of the law and is familiar with the local legal system.

With proper legal assistance, you can pursue a fair arrangement and rest assured that your attorney will fight to protect your rights.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Visit our Blog Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

FindLaw Network Office Location

Stanley A. Kweller, Attorney at Law
214 Second Avenue North, Suite 103
Nashville, TN 37201

Nashville Law Office

Phone: 615-208-9691
TF: 866-568-5306
Contact the firm

Super Lawyers